Friday, July 23, 2010

Cyberbullying

Cyberbullying is simply a type of bullying that happens online. It can be done by anyone who has access to the internet. People can sign on as a fake users thereby being somewhat anonymous. This allows people to terrorize others without real consequences. I have been cyberbullied in my past. I have been chatting online with people I knew and been told I was going to get my ass kicked for talking to someone’s girlfriend even though it was innocent. I was threatened and told not to come to school because I’d get beat up. Now, I personally do not feel too threatened when it comes to bodily harm most of the time because I’m pretty big and can handle myself if things got physical. However, if this could happen to me then it could easily happen to others and I could see how they might feel scared and anxious because of this. By the way, nothing happened to me when I went to school the next day. In cyberbullying, there seems to be lots of talk but little action in my experience.

Schools face problems with cyberbullying because there is a gray area in terms of how far the school’s disciplinary hand can reach. If people are being cyberbullied from their home, outside of class, can the school really do anything about it? I think they can. Paul Pick told us that a school’s authority involves its students no matter where they go. However, it seems the law does not always agree. The difficult aspect of this is that students have the right to free speech so where do the authorities draw the line. There is precedence that “many states have embraced legislation that requires schools to add cyberbullying to their anti-harassment policies.” Students would be anxious, scared, and/or depressed if they were being cyberbullied. This just reiterates the fact that teachers need to be in constant contact with their students and should very well have a background in psychology as well to help them identify these behaviors. I personally think a school should protect its students, especially from other students within the school, no matter where they might be.

How will I deal with cyberbullying? This is difficult as I would like to address the issue in class but I’m afraid that this might do more harm than good. What if students had no inkling to ever try this and then I gave them the idea? I do think that some sort of pre-emptive strike would be best so that you are relating to the students what they need to know and what the consequences would be if they decided to cyberbully. I might send home a letter to the parents discussing the issue so that they know of the problem and can be more aware of it with their own kids. The best scenario would be to have a school wide movement done to prevent cyberbullying. I think this would be most effective in smaller groups (i.e. individual classrooms) rather than in a school wide assembly.

4 comments:

  1. David, this was a nice post. I am sorry to here about being cyberbullied. That is unfortunate. I too thought about the disconnect between what Paul had told us and what apparently the law says. But I agree with that if a school puts cuyberbullying in their policy and how they are going to enforce it, if everyone agrees (school, parents, students, police), then no one should be able to cry foul.

    I somewhat agree with your plan to combat cyberbullying. I too think that it should be a school wide effort, on some level. But I don't think you are planting ideas in students heads just by talking about it. Their whole school career, they have been what the "wrong" thing to do is, whether or not they were aware of that particular "right and wrong" situation. For example, today not every kid does drugs and not every kid brings a gun to school. Talking about cyberbullying, in my opinion, is not necessarily going to initiate it. I think most kids will appreciate the honesty and precedent for open communication.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I think your concern that addressing cyberbullying may do more harm than good is valid. I remember hearing a story in one of my psychology classes; the teacher wanted to prevent anorexia and bulimia by having a student that overcame an eating disorder speak to the class. However, instead of preventing the problem, the discussion gave students ideas (for example, how to make yourself throw-up, etc.)

    Anyways, hope you did well on the Praxis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your great responses. Zach, I wish a nice day as well. Steven, thank you for your well wishes and I hope you did well on the praxis too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that addressing the issue as a school is the best approach. To talk on in smaller discussion groups would make it easier to connect with the students as well. I do agree that it is gray area for teachers. For me I am inclined to pass the buck to law enforcement

    ReplyDelete